Monday, February 25, 2008

back to the playground...ew, not like that you creepster.

so this weekend, i had 'go home with my (new) roommate weekend' round 2, which yet again situated me in a little town--much more rural than my beijing roommate's--where they don't speak mandarin. a lot of blank stares. this time, however, i was almost always accompanied by my roommate's cousin's twelve year old, slightly chubby son, because his family reaaaally wanted him to practice english with me. even though the kid was too nervous to speak english, it didn't prevent us from bonding. and, in doing so, took me back to those blissful post-paschen park day camp afternoons... you know, with phil, leon, shanen, bobby and katie sherman, CJ, tim (oh my god, sisters, help me out, what is tim's last name...!), etc... on saturday afternoon, after hiking around mogan mountain, while the adults cooked, we rode around the village on bikes, ate a lot of candy, played cards, and all that fun stuff. it was great, until at dinner i was forced to drink bai jiu-'white alcohol'-a chinese delicacy... whoever thinks grappa is difficult to drink, needs to check this shit out. i don't know of many children downing liquor from a bowl, but whatever, still good ol' family fun.

also, last night i made my first chinese friend...she's nine. you see, i was studying at starbucks --SHOCK! i know, i gave in-- and this girl came over to my table and basically just started hanging out with me. since our chinese is at about the same level, we really bonded. she drew while i read my third-grade level chinese literature stories. her parents ended up taking me out to dinner, where, once again, my psuedo-childhood quickly ended when forced to drink sake. all i know, is her mom got my number, so i'm really hoping we can have a play date soon.

pictures from the weekend:

peace sign!
my new friends (and my roommate, yue yue)
the side of yue yue's house and vegetable gardenthe inside of her home.
pretty sweet set-up actually
cold at times, but still sweet.
mogan mountain
it's a huge tourist site in the summer,
but since the weather is still a little chilly,
nobody was there and we didn't have
to pay the $80RMB entrance fee
don't do it kid!
this kid, tian tian, looooved his toy guns.
it was a definitely a fishing town.
behind yue yue's house there was a river,
with an old man in a little shack watching over it
to make sure thieves didn't steal the fish!
apparently in china snow white is a blonde.
they would.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're awesome Maeve.

Noodle said...

mmmm... chinese white liquor... (mmmmm is the new sound of vomitting).

I feel your pain... business dinners where more like "see how many of these the guilo can drink"... luckily, Ian was a great drinking coach in my college days and I was able to outdrink them... but hey zeus... that stuff is awful... upside? hangovers aren't as bad as the ones you get from the phemaldahide (sp?) beer.

Cheers!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj224/thenoodabides/CHINA3054.jpg

Ellen said...

STAHULA!! Tim Stahula...don't quote me on the spelling. I'll confirm with Nathan.

Anonymous said...

everyone once in a while, if I'm at a bar with nathan, I'll drop the "Tim Skaluhlah (SP???!!)" bomb and ask Nathan to tell me a story about him. Those stories NEVER let me know! That kid squinted more than Renee Zelweger.